Thursday 25 August 2016

ZULU

Another new project! I have to admit though that this one has been kickstarted by the purchase of several hundred painted Zulu. I had managed one unit myself a few years ago before I became distracted with other projects. I'll show the Zulu army in another post.

The figures are all 28mm and are Empress Miniatures British infantry painted as the 24th Foot, and Warlord Games Zulus.

In common with a lot of wargamers I've always had a soft spot for the Anglo-Zulu Wars, founded almost entirely by numerous viewings of the 1964 film ZULU. In fact the most memorable part of the film for me has always been the rendition of Men of Harlech led by the talented Welsh singer and actor Ivor Emmanuel. I fondly remember one Saturday afternoon in a local pub which was full at the time (probably due to some sporting event), where every male voice belted out Men of Harlech in time with the movie that was being shown on the television in the corner of the bar. It was quite a scene as you can imagine, an early form of flash mob but completely unrehearsed (I suppose that's what happens with a pub full of Welshmen), and once the song had finished eveyone carried on as if nothing had happened, much to the bemused looks from accompanying wives, girlfriends and bar staff! It's quite amazing the influence a film can have....

Click on any picture to enlarge










No comments:

Post a Comment