Tuesday 30 August 2022

Newcastle Rifles and Buffalo Guard - Anglo-Zulu War



28mm Anglo-Zulu War cavalry representing Newcastles Rifles and the Buffalo Guard. The figures are from Empress Miniatures. Observant readers may notice a stray mounted and dismounted Natal Mounted Police figure, I'm unsure where his fellow officer is, likely misplaced in a box during packing for a move, this particular chap has also seen action, having lost his helmet spike. Just like the Mounted Infantry set there is a horse holder set included. The intention was to combine these with the Mounted infantry to form a cavalry detachment for a small game. I also have in the lead pile some Mounted Natal Native Horse to paint. The Anglo-Zulu War project has very much been a slow burner, with small additions being infrequently made, in fact I've only managed to paint one of the Rorkes Drift Buildings and the Zulu huts have remained untouched!










 

4 comments:

  1. Nice work! Those Empress figures are really good. I have some of their ECW figures and they are terrific sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Empress are lovely sculpts, I've resisted their ECW as I've an extensive collection and don't want to add more, but when they came out I was tempted to sell up and start from scratch!

      Delete
  2. Very nice Meic…

    I do like all those volunteer units that came into existence in the 19th century.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I have to confess it's not an area I know about, but it definitely adds a little interest to the table for the Anglo-Zulu War.
      Local yeomanry might be something I look into in the future, maybe with an imaginary invasion of Britain scenario set in the Napoleonic Wars. The Denbighshire Hussars were my local force, formed in 1795 as a Yeomanry cavalry troop.

      Cheers
      Meic

      Delete