Friday 7 October 2022

Seven Years War return - Prussia's Glory

 


A recent acquisition is Prussia's Glory Rossbach and Luther 1757 by Christopher Duffy has focussed my attention on the Seven Years War. I've had a stockpile of 18mm Seven Years War figures from Eureka and Blue Moon languishing for years, additions to the lead pile have been made periodically, but with no overall plan finalised. I have to confess I'm not a planner, more of an impulse buyer. I've also been internally debating base sizes, as this will dictate to a degree unit sizes. Options under review have been 40mm frontage with 8 figures to a base or 30mm frontage with 6 figures to a base for foot. Cavalry units will be either 12 or 8 figures strong. In an ideal world the 40mm frontage would win, but I have had to be realistic and take into consideration a number of important factors, most notably cost and table size. I'm currently restricted to a maximum 6ft x 4ft table, and games need to conform to this reality. Larger games may be possible but will not be the norm. There is added bonus that less figures per unit means the armies will be game ready sooner. So, at the moment I'm leaning towards 30mm as a frontage per base. Artillery will have to be on 40mm frontage as I've mocked some up on a 30mm base and don't like the cramped look. Rules will be Maurice, and I don't feel having the artillery on a different frontage will matter as long as all armies are based the same. The armies that I'll be building are Prussian, Austrian and Russian.

I still intend to continue with the Bronze Age project, and will work these in alongside the Seven Years War and other projects I've started in 15mm, Late Rome and her enemies and the Italian Wars. In fact I've nearly finished my first starter army for Furioso, the French.

Some exciting news, well for me. I'll be attending The Other Partizan this Sunday, the first post covid outing. I'm really looking forward to seeing the great games on display and maybe making a few purchases. 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a terrific project! I love both Eureka (infantry, cavalry, artillery) and Blue Moon (infantry, artillery) SYW figures. I like Old Glory and Lancashire Games too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I will be looking at your blog for inspiration! Will definitely take a look at Old Glory and Lancashire Games, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see a new project starting…
    I look forward to see how things develop…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, hopefully with it being 15/18mm it won't take too long...or am I being optimistic.

      Delete