Wednesday 11 May 2022

6mm Musings

I've become attracted to 6mm gaming over the last couple of years and after several previous stalled attempts I have managed to successfully embrace this scale. Having painted a large 6mm ECW collection, and ACW Union army, I have planned and purchased the figures for a Sudan project. These have yet to see the painting table, but as with all 6mm projects they don't take long to finish once they do! All the figures are from Baccus, and I often find myself perusing their catalogue and becoming more and more impressed at the detail these little models pack, especially the newer redesigned ranges for the ECW and Great Northern War. It was while looking at the lovely new Great Northern War figures, especially the charging Swedes that I find myself being drawn once more to 6mm. I must add here that I do have a box of the older Baccus Great Northern War figures in the lead pile covering armies for both the Swedes and Russians, this was one of my previously stalled projects. At the time I just couldn't manage to get to grips with painting 6mm figures, something that now baffles me if I'm to be honest because they are very easy to do. Another concept that I've been toying with recently is one of small portable games that I can easily take to a gaming night at the local club. I don't drive and at times I just want to take one small bag and not attempt to lug around several bags. Bearing this in mind and my interest in exploring the flexibility that 6mm gaming offers I find myself being lured back to the Great Northern War for a little project. This makes sense to me on several fronts, firstly it meets the mini portable game criteria, secondly, I've always had an interest in the Great Northern War, and finally and probably most importantly I already have the figures...somewhere...

This then led me think about what type of game to play. I also wanted something that is going to have a minimal cash outlay. Having some figures is a great start (though I will no doubt be adding some of the newer Baccus minis...a permissible scratching of the itch that inspired this idea). Ideally the game must be suitable for a small table and the rules must come from among the existing sets sat on my bookshelf, an important consideration as it keeps costs down. The one ruleset that immediately jumps out is Pikeman's Lament, and a quick trawl of the internet flagged such a 6mm Great Northern War project having been done by Per on the Roll a One - Wargaming blog. This was a great help in solidifying my fledging plan. I particularly like the 3-2-1 basing scheme described in the rules and the fact that the game when modified for 6mm figures fits on a 2ft x 2ft gaming board is perfect. Now I must find those figures...! 

In the meantime, I'll be continuing to paint my Bronze Age armies, fear not momentum will not be lost despite distracting thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment