Thursday 5 May 2022

A Gentleman's War or Glossy Coats and Tin Bayonets Rules


It has been challenging to find rules that I'm happy with for fielding my 1866 collection. The latest hope is a set by Howard Whitehouse called A Gentleman's War or, Glossy Coats and Tin Bayonets. A quick read through gives me hope that I might have found a set that will suit my original intention for this collection.  Infantry units are 12 figures strong, Skirmishers 6 figures and cavalry in 6 figure units. There will be a few additions to the collection, command figures and some more cavalry. 

The figures in the collection have been painted and gloss varnished to give an old school feel as I wanted to use them to play Scenarios for Wargames and Programmed Wargames Scenarios by Charles Stewart Grant. These are great books from the Wargames Research Group, long out of print, and I was very fortunate to find these copies many years ago. Like everything in my gaming life, things move very slowly. I also intend to use the wonderful Table Top Teasers from Charles Grant; Henry Hyde published these in a Battlegames Table Top Teasers Volume 1 that is still available to purchase from Wargames Vault as a pdf. 


I've also acquired some more 1866 miniatures from the Northstar 1866 range, these include various command figures for the Prussians and Austrians which weren't available when I painted the original armies; and a unit of 12 Prussian Cuirassiers. Given the small number required I'll probably rotate these onto the painting table in-between Bronze Age figures. More photos of Sea Peoples to come...


4 comments:

  1. Good to see you have found rules to your liking. Your pair of Grant books are classics and well worth having in the library. Over the years, I managed to pick up extra copies as “back ups” in case of loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I've painted up the command figures I just need to find time to play a game, have strong hopes for these rules. The books are absolute gems, very fortunate to have found mint condition copies as well. Think I got them from Keep Wargaming many years ago when they still had old stock of WRG publications as well.

      Delete
  2. I think A Gentleman’s War are an excellent lighthearted set of rules Meic…
    I have had some rather fun games in the past…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, that's exactly what I was looking for, fun games. Did notice you had an honourable mention in the text. I'm ploughing through Mycenaeans at the moment, but itching to paint up my 1866 Command figures...

      Delete